“A track coach may not be the fastest runner, but he or she can train an athlete to run their fastest mile.” – Ellen Boyd
Just like an athletic coach, NorthWay Group life coaches partner with individuals who are ready to embrace their full potential. Whether you are in the midst of transition, or maintaining a happy status quo, coaching is an opportunity to view one’s life with a fresh perspective, take stock of what you have, and decide where you want to go.
In today’s fast-paced world, it’s easy to get off track and lose sight of your way. A coach can help you determine your sense of direction and identify the resources you need to continue on your life journey. We believe that you are the expert of your own life.
Many people choose to work with a coach so they can get more out of their lives, achieve more balance, and to maximize their potential. Working with a coach is not about what’s wrong with you, it’s about what is right, and how to make it even better.
- Designing the life you’ve always wanted and/or explore what that may be.
- Being committed to the best in you and the willingness to grow.
- Learning and changing take time; sometimes it results in a bit of fear and pain.
- When we change, those around us are sometimes uncomfortable because they are used to the way we used to be.
- Being committed to becoming your best
What is coaching?
- About you, not the people around you or your coach
- Supporting you in reaching your potential
- Deepening your learning about yourself
- Acknowledging your abilities and special gifts
- Speaking hard truths
- Understanding your choices
- Championing your progress
- Accepting responsibility and being accountable for your own thoughts and actions.
- Lots of questions, lots of challenges, inquiries and some homework
- Identifying your own self-doubt and managing it (gremlins/saboteurs)
- Promoting your bigger life agenda
- Learning, and more learning
- Fun, rewarding and life-changing
Coaching is not…
- Story telling or about the past
- Advising, counselling or therapy
- Pleasing your coach
- Colluding with your self-doubt
- Judging – could, would, should or should not
- Nagging – the coach pulling you along
What’s the difference between coaching & therapy?
Coaching does not diagnose or treat. Instead, coaching assumes that the client is naturally creative, resourceful, and whole. Coaching operates with a working assumption that the client is the expert of his or her own life.
Coaching focuses on the present and the future. Your past certainly contributes to who you are, however coaching is about understanding what can be done today to allow you to achieve the life you want to lead.
Coaching is an alliance. Your coach will work with you to form an alliance and identify goals. Coaching is a peer relationship.
Coaches are not medical professionals. Coaches, however, should be trained through an accredited coaching institution.
What can I expect from a coach?
A coach is someone who:
- Believes in you.
- Listens, not only to your words, but also listens to the very best in you, even when you can’t hear it yourself.
- Holds you accountable for yourself and keeps you moving forward toward your goals.
- Lots of Questions
- Choice –Yes, No, Counter offers, or Delay answering
- Fun & Play
What do I need to expect from myself?
- Be honest with yourself.
- Be willing to learn. Be prepared to stretch your boundaries, & fail in doing so! This isn’t being wrong – look at how youngsters learn to walk!
- Take personal responsibility for your life and the impact that you on yourself and those around you.
How do I know if I’m ready for a coach?
- Are you satisfied with the balance between your work life and personal life?
- Do your stress levels fall within a comfortable range for you?
- Do you feel you are effective at communicating with co-workers, employees, boards, or customers?
- Do you know how to bring out the best in your work team?
- Are you comfortably juggling all the complexities in your life?
- Do you feel that your present circumstances are bringing out the best in you?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, you are ready for a coach!
NorthWay Group offers:
Executive Coaching for people who want to bring out the best in themselves and their business or organization by honing their management style. Learn to lead within your organization and create effective work teams through vision and values and understanding the value of having a good work-life balance.
Emerging Leaders for individuals who see themselves stepping into leadership or management positions in the future. This program can also benefit recent college graduates taking that next big step in life. A group option of this program is also available.
Team Coaching as a way to maximize the effectiveness of work teams and get group productivity to flow. Coaching can be project-specific or general team development. This can be situational or ongoing.
Individual Coaching for people who are ready to have change in their life and who want to bring out the best of themselves whatever their current situation might be.
Family coaching for families who would like some guidance and support in achieving a greater goal.
Supplemental coaching for someone who is already engaged in, or has utilized, other educational or training opportunities. Combining coaching with other learning opportunities increases retention and increases your ability to apply what you’ve learned.
Need a different solution? No problem!
NorthWay Group can develop a tailored solution for you.